Stuffed Pepper Soup
20oz of 97% or 99% lean ground turkey
1 small white onion, finely diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small red and 1 small yellow bell pepper, thinly diced
1 28oz can of no salt added petite diced tomatoes
1 small can of no salt added tomato sauce
2-3 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth (more for thinner soup, less for thicker)
Salt and pepper to taste
Brown rice, steamed
Directions: Saute garlic and onion in olive oil on low heat. Add turkey and cook until browned. Add diced bell peppers and saute 3-5 minutes until peppers are soft. Add remaining ingredients (except rice) and simmer on low for 30 minutes (the longer you simmer, the better the flavor). Top each serving with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of brown rice. Makes 6 servings.
Santa Fe Chicken Soup (out of Eating for Life Cookbook)
1/3 c Brown Rice, medium grain
4 portions Chicken Breast (about a pound) sliced
1 Lime half
2 tsp Taco Seasoning (dry)
6 Corn Tortillas
4 TBSP Olive Oil
1 clove Garlic
1/2 cup chopped Onions
1 can (4 oz) Green Chili Peppers
4 TBSP Salsa
1/4 cup fat-free Sour Cream (optional)
2 TBSP Cilantro chopped
1. Cook brown rice according to its package directions. While the rice is cooking, place chicken breasts in a shallow dish; cover with lime juice and lightly coat both sides with taco seasoning. Then place chicken on a hot grill and cook for approximately 6 minutes on each side. Let the chicken cool slightly, then cut it into strips and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cut corn tortillas into 1/2 inch strips, then place them on a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes or until they are crispy, then set aside.
3. While the tortilla strips are baking, heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onions, saute until the onion is transparent (about 8 minutes).
4. Add cooked rice to the pot and saute for 3 minutes. Add green chilies for 2 minutes. Then pour fat free chicken broth into the mixture and bring it to a boil. Add sliced chicken and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 25 minutes.
5. Place a few baked tortilla strips in the bottom of the bowls and spoon about a fourth of the soup into each bowl. Garnish each bowl with a few more tortilla strips, a spoonful of salsa, fat free sour cream and cilantro. Serves 4 people.
Click here to download a Food Log to make your life easier. (This is an Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. You can right-click on the link and select Save Target As… or just click to view the document.)
Check out www.caloriecount.about.com. It’s a great resource for online food journals and activity logs. See how many calories you consume and burn off each day!
Check out this website to see why you should not drink diet soda!