1 bunch asparagus
1 pound golden beets
8 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, julienned
1/4 cup goat cheese boursin (see recipe below)
1 cup baby arugula
1 recipe terragon dill vinaigrette (see recipe below)
1. Prepare beets – prepare oven to 400 degrees. Wrap each beet individually in foil and place on sheet pan. Roast beets until they can be easily pierced with a fork, about 45 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, and peel beets with dry paper towels, then cut them into 1/2″ dice. Toss in vinaigrette
2. Prepare asparagus – trim the woody asparagus stems by bending them until they break; the asparagus will naturally break where the stem becomes woody. Discard the woody ends. Heat a cast iron skillet then add minimal oil Saute asparagus in small batches until browned and just tender about 2-3 minutes. Set aside to cool. Cut the asparagus on the bias (at a diagonal) into 1″ pieces and toss with lemon zest.
3. Saute shiitake – saute mushrooms in hot skillet until browned; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Putting it all together – arrange beets, asparagus and shiitake on each plate. Dot with small balls of goat boursin. Lightly toss argula in vinaigrette and top composed salad with greens.
Tarragon-Dill Vinaigrette Lemon Oil
2 cups of canola oil
Strips of zest from 1 lemon
1 stalk lemongrass, tough outer layers removed and bottom 4 inches roughly chopped
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, about 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon tarragon, torn
1/2 teaspoon dill, snipped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons tarragon, roughly chopped
1/4 cup lemon oil
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Prepare lemon oil – In a medium heavy saucepan over very low heat, combine oil, lemon peel and lemongrass. Cook, uncovered, until aromatic, about 1 hour. Do not let oil boil. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Strain through a mesh strainer into a heatproof container. Cool completely before using. May be stored in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
2. Prepare Vinaigrette – In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, mustard, tarragon, dill, salt, sugar and pepper. Slowly whisk in lemon oil, then olive oil. Adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Goal Cheese Boursin
1 garlic clove, minced
8 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon fresh dill
1 tablespoon chives, minced
2 tablespoons parsley, minced
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Click here to download a Food Log to make your life easier. (This is a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. You can right-click on the link and select Save Target As… or just click to view the document.)
Check out www.caloriecount.about.com. It’s a great resource for online food journals and activity logs. See how many calories you consume and burn off each day!
Check out this website to see why you should not drink diet soda!